Retro Rocks Nambour
Kathleen Ashworth has been a member of the Nambour community for most of the last 40 years. In that time she worked with a variety of stakeholders to create opportunities and experiences for artists and the community and provide networking and practical support to a range of local groups. Kathleen currently coordinates the Retro Rocks Nambour annual rockabilly event, the monthly Sunshine Coast Blues Club and more.
A foundation student at the University of the Sunshine Coast, Kathleen graduated 1996 with a BA in Art & Design. While there, as well as working part time, she was the first social director for the Student Guild: organising the first and subsequent social functions for students, the first USC ball for staff and students and instigated the development of the Drama Club. She was a founding member of the university Rugby Club and negotiated a partnership with the Buderim Cricket Club. Kathleen also played a major role in presenting the first graduating students’ art exhibition, “Portal” and designing its catalogue.
As VP of the Arts Council Sunshine Coast (2002-2011) Kathleen played a major role in all activities, including:
- negotiated with Council and community to create outdoor art exhibition spaces at Mudjimba (2002) and Nambour (2004)
- hosted QAC’s “Creative Volunteering” workshops 2003
- ‘PerForum’ – forum for performing artists, Nambour Civic Centre, July 31, 2004
- co-produced the inaugural Sunshine Coast Show Art Exhibition, June 2004
- instigated and auspiced the concept development for the commemorative public art installation for the Sunshine Coast Show Centenary – installed 2005
- ‘The Art of the Matter’ – forum for fine/visual artists, Buderim Craft Cottage, Feb 12, 2005
- instigated and played a major role in presenting the Sunshine Coast Blues Festival, annually, 2005-2010 inclusive.
- hosted QAC’s Regional Arts Conference, Noosa Bicentennial Hall, September 2008
- layout and publishing of Artsun newsletter.